Friday, November 14, 2008

Cherry Eye

Our little Baylee got something called 'Cherry Eye' last night. This is the definition from Wikepedia:

Cherry eye is the term used to refer to canine nictitans gland prolapse, a common eye condition in various dog breeds where the gland of the third eyelid known as the nictitating membrane prolapses and becomes visible. It appears as a red mass in the inner corner of the eye, and is sometimes mistaken for a tumor. After gland prolapse, the eye becomes chronically inflamed and there is often a discharge. Because the gland is responsible for about 30% of the eye's tear production, the eye can eventually suffer from dryness (keratoconjunctivitis sicca).[4] Dry eye may eventually occur in 30 to 40 percent of dogs that have the gland removed, yet it may affect about 20 percent of dogs that have the gland surgically replaced [5]

I bathed her and groomed her last night and she was fine and then 2 hours later I looked at her and she had a little pink bubble in the corner of her eye. I called the vet this morning and took her in this afternoon. She did not have to have surgery, which is the most common corrective measure. I have to put ointment in her eyes 3x a day for 5 days. Luckily she is a whole lot easier than Buddie when it comes to eye medicine. They repositioned the gland back into the pocket it belongs in with a q-tip with ointment on it. The vet told me that if the swelling doesn't go down and it pops out again we will have to decide on surgery or I can try and pop it back in myself. So, we will see and hopefully our little Baylee Bear will not have to have surgery. She is still so cute and precious.




Here are a couple fun pictures

My sleeping girls

My sleeping boys

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My OH MY
Grandma's Baylee Bear is so adorable. I miss her.

Anonymous said...

OH and Buddie is Grandma's baby also. Look how sweet he is. I miss him too much!!!!!