Saturday, July 7, 2007

Diesel Fried Chicken




"It was a bit greasy but it went down quick." - B. Van Houten


So, we started our road trip at 3 AM from Hutto, TX. We decided that we just wanted to start heading out of town while we were awake anyways. We ended up stopping in the hometown of Lyndon B. Johnson. We left around noon and continued on our way out of Texas. So now comes the first funny story:

Brian and I had been on the road for around 6 hours. I was driving at the time when we passed a sign for gas. I pulled in to the parking lot and the gas was kind of pricey but I asked Brian what he thought we should do. 'We should be fine, let's just go a little further down the road.' Okay I say...being the good obedient sister. As we get down the road the gas light comes on. Guess what, no gas stations. We finally get to one and gas was $3.39 p/gal. So being the smart kids that we are we decided to get 3 gallons and fill up further down the road. So we start back on our way and guess what....gas light, again. So we pull off and get 2 more gallons of gas for $3.25 p/gal. The next town is about 23 miles away. So I am driving, not stomping on the gas, going up and down hills trying to make sure that we make it without puttering to a fuelless stop. About 10 minutes away from Van Horn, TX...GAS LIGHT!!! So if I count correctly...3 low fuel lights in 45 minutes, approx. $17.00 for 5 gallons of gas, and the fact that I, the little sister, was correct when I said we should get gas and pulled into the gas station. :-) Needless to say we were laughing pretty hard. But hey, if we had run out of gas we could have just dropped my car off the trailer and drove to get some. So see, we had a plan.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My oh my! Brian, I remember when I picked you up for lunch and took you to the airport to fly to Texas. I told you how comfortable I felt knowing you were helping drive Christy home. Now, I hear you are the one who said do not stop for gas. I would have expected that one to be Christy. Son, your reputation is now damaged----------and you were the "professional" driver in the truck. Sounds like the Big Brother part of you took over. Good job B! You arrived home safely with your sister in tow and you had fun!

Love you both, Mom

Anonymous said...

The diesel fried chicken in VH left me with a little gas, but it was worth it in the flavor department...I chased my order with a half-pint of jack, then a bottle of beer to push it through. Mighty fine!
-dbautisun

Anonymous said...

Huhhhhhhhhhh????

Anonymous said...

Yikes!!!

Anonymous said...

I don't know but I sharted.